The Monira Foundation’s Performance Residency, presented in partnership with Karole Armitage and Armitage Gone! Dance, awards space and time to Performing Arts organizations or dance companies in the New Jersey and neighboring area or tristate area. Performers are invited for two week periods Beginning March 6, 2023 – September 30 to utilize the dance studio in service of their missions and proposed projects. For this application cycle we are pleased to offer 150 honorariums to lead applicants in support of their time in the studio. This residency is meant to be the gift of time and space. We welcome organizations and companies that support movement based artistic expressions and open up the space to be programmed as the awarded organization feels will best serve their needs and community.
The Monira Foundation, located in Mana Contemporary in Jersey City, looks to provide a stimulating, rigorous, and contemplative environment in which talented and committed artists and arts organizations will benefit from and grow within their work.
Program Overview and Facilities:
The Dance Studio is approximately 55 feet x 35 feet. The dance floor has a special slip-resistant surface and sprung wooden floor with a marley. The marley can be used with pointe shoes, ballet slippers, socks and barefeet. Sneakers and other street shoes are not permitted. There is a sound system onsite.
Note that there are two pillars in the studio as well as a mirrored wall, and permanent and portable barres. One wall is glass making the studio visible to those within the building.
Applicants should consider use when submitting. We ask that artists rehearse 4-5 days a week for at least 4 hours a day during business hours.
This opportunity is for New Jersey or tri-state based organizations, companies, and performers who:
- Are developing new work in the performing arts.
- Are exploring their interests and questions with thoughtful processes and can articulate a context for their work in a statement of need.
- Are excited by the opportunity to share their work with the public and who embrace dialogue with audiences as a meaningful part of their process.
- Have a performing arts piece that is in the middle or near the end of its development that requires space and time to pull together.
- Are at least 18 years of age and not currently in an undergraduate degree program.
This residency looks to serve a diverse and inclusive community. We look to support performers of all racial and cultural perspectives and abilities. Projects will be chosen through an internal curatorial review that includes Karole Armitage, Monira staff, and former Performance Resident Artists.
- To apply for the Monira Performance Residency, please fill out and submit the Application Form online at SlideRoom.
- Applications require a statement of need, a cv for the lead applicant, brief artist bio(s) for those who will work in the space, and work samples. Works samples can include up to 2 videos of recent performances and 2 stills. Videos must be unedited. Links or uploads of up to 5mb are acceptable. Links must not require a password and be left available through May.
This program is an open call. Applications are Closed now and will open in Fall 2023. Applicants will be required to pay a 10$ application fee. $5 goes directly to slideroom to cover their fee, $5 goes to paying panelists for their time in review. If this presents a hardship please email Anne Muntges at email@example.com to request a waiver.